Sunday, March 27, 2011

Organization Week Day 1: Daily Materials



 Hey bloggy friends! Get EXCITED! Organization week starts right NOW! I cannot wait to see all of the ideas y'all have! (Maybe too many exclamation points for one line? Oh well...) :-)

Today's topic is about organizing daily materials. Some people were even asking about how to organize things when you get ahead more than a week... good question.

Here is my system:

I think that every teacher needs to have materials sorted somehow by day of the week. That way, everything you need for the day can be in one spot, and it's easy to find things when you get there in the morning to prepare. I have a tower of crates. If you are interested in the crates, they are like the ones at Organize-it.com. Click here to view it. You can see it below:


If I have materials for a specific math game or science activity that are too large for the crates, I put them behind my big book cart in black baskets I found at the dollar spot at Target. You can see it below:


And for materials I print ahead of time, I file them at my fingertips in my handy dandy Apprentice from Staples. I L.O.V.E. this! You can find it here if interested. I have a file in this called "Next Week". Really it's where I put any copies made ahead of time. The best part is that it is right in front of me, so I won't lose track of it! You can see mine below: .

Now it's your turn! Share your best organizational tip for daily materials. Link up a post or add a comment.

If you link back, don't forget to grab my button!





 Mrs. Patton’s
Patch


By the way, I heard some of you didn't get the chance to get your photos yet. If this is you, don't worry! I'll keep the linkys open for each day of the week until Saturday night at 11:59 PM. So keep adding if you have some ideas or photos! That also means that you should check back every so often and see what else has been added!

Tomorrow's topic is Literacy Centers. Get ready!!!

-Mrs. Patton

10 comments:

Rachelle said...

I've already posted about my daily paper pile, but I'll share it again with you in a comment! I use the lake shore bins that have Mon-Fri and have different folders in each bin to keep track of different subjects. Then, in Friday's bin I have an extra folder labeled "next week" for copies I make in advance. :) Here is the link to that post! :)

http://whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com/2011/02/management-monday_14.html

-rachelle
whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

Tracy said...

Oops...pics are at school. Will describe best I can and post pics tomorrow.
1. I use a mailbox sorter for all the copies I have. They are sorted by subject math, fluency, science, etc. I also have a few drawer sets for the overflow. The newest materials are on the top. My partner and I copy for a few weeks ahaead of time so the stuff to use later is on the bottom. All of this is behind my desk.
2. BIg items I will need to teachj for the day (manipulative and such I gfather the night before MOST of the time and place in a basket on my desk for the day.
3. For planning purposes I make 1 extra copy and keep each weks materials/ideas in a page protector sheet in my plan binder

Ms. Wilson said...

Colleen, you are so organized! I use a file crate and have swing files labeled m-f and next week. It works well for space purposes. I am very eager to see more of your classroom!

Julie said...

This is so fun!! Thanks for starting it!
I put your button on my blog. Feel free to come on over and look around. :)

Julie
Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

S. Parker said...

I love that desktop apprentice. I may need to go and get one. It looks like it can hold a lot! Thanks for hosting.

www.learningwithmrsparker.blogspot.com

Kristin Young said...

My files got to large so I use an organizer by theme {science/social studies, math, writing, workshop, literacy}. That way if we're working on something for more than one week and I don't get to it as planned, I still have it at my fingertips and don't have to worry about moving it to the next week.

Thanks for sharing...looking forward to the next few days!! :)

http://LittleMissGlamourGoesToKindergarten.blogspot.com

Cortney said...

Hello! I found you via Erin at 'I Teach for A Living' Blog. I just started a new educational blog, but I'm linking a post that I wrote back in September. It's full of organizational stuff, sorry it's not narrowed down into just daily work.I can't wait to visit everyone else's to get more idea's. Thanks for hosting.

Cortney said...

My apologies, I linked the wrong post the first time. I linked the right post (#13) this time and it'll take you to the organization one. Sorry about that!

Sarah said...

My organization system has fallen apart since January!! But I love your bin idea - I may just have to "borrow" that one :)

Danielle B. said...

I love how you organize your word work for the Daily 5 :). I implemented the Daily 5 in January and feel like I need to add a little more "meat" to the word work to get my kiddos ready for 2nd grade. I really liked the spelling timeline, is that something your district uses? Would you mind sharing it? If so, my email is danielle_Barnhart@yahoo.com. Thanks!!