Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Organization Week Day 3: Math


I am so excited about this post! I have just updated my math organization system and have been waiting for an opportunity to share this!

If you are just jumping in my blog for the first time this week, you have come at a great time! It is Organization Week! Each day has a new topic that some of my followers helped me come up with. Today is simply math.

Funny, I say "simply math", yet math is the subject for me that comes with the most things to organize and have readily available. Here is my system:

I keep all of my math manipulatives ready to go in this organizer:
I have labels on the boxes and underneath them on the shelf so the kids can easily put them back.

If you would like a copy of these labels, click here!

I also LOVE teaching with math games and download so many of them from you fabulous bloggers out there! For a while this was unfortunate, though, because I didn't know how to store them. Here is what I decided to use:



I ended up writing most of these labels, but I made a drawer for each major topic we cover in math. I don't keep loose papers or originals of worksheets or originals of games in here. Those things go in my file cabinet since they can lay flat. In here, I keep games that I made with cards and boards and such that are too bulky for file cabinets. I love having it so easily accessible, because even in the past few weeks I have had a couple of times where I came over to this cart to pull out a different game I realized would help my students better than what I had planned. We started using the curriculum called Investigations last year, and many of the games I made for that are in here as well.

For the games and manipulatives that we use VERY often, I have a different system. Here is what it looks like on my back counter:

I have math binders with mostly addition and subtraction games that I wanted my students to do again and again throughout the year. I only have 10 binders because they do all the games in partners. Here are some pictures of inside:

These are some of the investigations games. The great thing about this is that they are in sheet protectors. That means that they can do them over and over again using a dry erase marker and no wasting paper! I love it!

Next to the binders is the place where I keep the socks for erasing, counters for the games, and two different kinds of dice-- number and dot. I bought the containers from Hobby Lobby at 50% off, then decorated them with ribbon. Again, I used a clothespin for the label so that I can easily change it out when I need to.

Here are the containers before:




...and here they are after:





I'm sorry it my post got so long with the pictures, but I really wanted to share them all.

Now it's your turn! Link up a blog post or leave a comment with your math organization tips. If you link up, don't forget to grab my button from below!


 Mrs. Patton’s
Patch



11 comments:

Kelley said...

I never thought to put game masters in a plastic sleeve for kids to write on. I can't wait to try this!

Kelley-3rd

http://randalllearninglibrary.blogspot.com/

Mary said...

Thank you for the post. I have put a link on my own Guided Math blog. This is going to be a goal of mine for next year, more organization. I will make sure to come back and visit your great ideas!

Thanks,
Mary

Guided Math

Kristin Young said...

We've adopted Investigations as well and I have to admit, it is not my favorite...partly because there are SO many print-outs!!! I love your binder idea. Are parents ever bothered that they aren't seeing the math work brought home since it's all done with dry erase?

It all looks great! Thanks for sharing! :)

http://LittleMissGlamourGoesToKindergarten.blogspot.com

Brenda said...

I LOVE the way you've organized the games the kids play often in the binders with the dice etc. in the tubs. Practical and TOO CUTE! I've been kind of struggling with how to manage these types of games in my room. All I need to do is carve out a space to house it all! Thanks for posting!

Brenda
http://www.primaryinspired.blogspot.com/

Miss Griffin said...

Where did you get your math game drawers? I love how colorful they are and how many of them there are!
Morgan
FantasticFirst.Blogspot.coM

Brenda said...

Miss Griffin -- I have the same drawers. I got mine at JoAnn's. You can get a really good deal if you use one of their 40% off coupons. They also have a Teacher Appreciation program (I think you get an additional 20% off with that).

Brenda
http://www.primaryinspired.blogspot.com/

Erin said...

I love how you organized your games by topic in those drawers! Much better than my messy filing cabinet stuffed with manilla envelopes of games!

Ladybug Teacher said...

Oh my, your supply containers are gorgeous! What a cool idea! I'm getting a bit tired of the plastic containers all the time ;)

Kristen

Ladybug Teacher said...

I forgot to say thank you too, for your lovely linky party! I've been rushing home each day to read it...definitely getting me through the last cold, dreary week of March. Thanks! :)

Kristen

Mandy's Memories said...

I love your buckets! Adorable and great ideas!

Miss Amanda said...

i love the idea with having labels on the buckets and the shelves. I work with preschoolers, and do a similar thing, only I take pictures of the actual items and print wallets & 4x6 prints. The 4x6 I put on the shelf, and the wallet I tape to the bucket, and use on my center rotation chart. It works wonders!