Thursday, March 17, 2011

Teacher Library Organized!

Happy Thursday everyone! I always like Thursdays because I know that the next day is Friday! Wahoo!

I recently organized my teacher library and wanted to share the photos and labels with you! I bought the bins from Hobby Lobby for $1.67 each. I really like them! I need to get more so I can put the extra books you see in bins too.

Here is before:






And After:

Somehow I forgot to do a shot of the full shelf, but you get the picture. I hot glued strips of thin ribbon onto small clothespins. I then glued the clothespins to the containers and inserted a label. I really like using clothespins because it is so each to change out the label.

I organize my books mostly by topic except for a few that I always use for Daily 5 or Writing Lessons. If there are some picture books that I had a bunch of by one author, I made a label for that author. If the story books were by an author I don't have many books for, they just went in a bin that I labeled "Other Story Books". Again, I know that my library will grow as I teach more which is why I used the clothespins for an easy change out of labels. I am pretty sure this will always be a work in progress, but I think I've got a good start going. No more wasting my time to look for a certain book!

Here is a download of the book organization labels.

       Click here for part 1.

       Click here for part 2.

I created them to go on the Avery template 8163. The graphics are nothing special, just clip art from Microsoft Word or a picture of a book cover, but I really like it. Hope you can use it!

By the way, I think I may create a spreadsheet of the books I have in my library-- probably one for my library and one for the books I have in my student library. When I create this, would anyone be interested in me sharing it? I would leave it editable in an excel format. Let me know if you would want me to post it on here once I finish it... I'd be happy to share if someone would find it useful!

-Mrs. Patton

17 comments:

Mrs.Thompson said...

Thanks for sharing! What books do you have in your student library vs in your teacher library? How do you decide? That is the part I am trying to decide on.
Also, I have also made a Book Database that I posted about. Go check it out if you are interested!

Mrs. Thompson
Adventures in Teaching

Mrs. Patton said...

I decided which ones could go in my student library by thinking about how often I read a book to the whole class. If I didn't remember I had it or know that I haven't read it to the whole class, I put it in their library. There comes a point where there are too many books in a teacher library to read in a year! That's my take on it... :)

Ladybug Teacher said...

I'm so jealous! I wish we had a Hobby Lobby nearby!!

And your organization...WOW! I love everything--the labels, the baskets, the clothespin idea. Thank you so much for sharing, this is very inspiring!

Kristen
Ladybug's Teacher Files

Mrs. Edwards said...

What a fantastic idea w/ the clothespins! I am so jealous of all the books you have! I'm a new teacher and have been collecting books for years but I still feel like I don't have enough books to really "organize" them...not enough of one topic to dedicate a bin to it. Ya know? I'd love to see your library list though...maybe help me decide what I should order over the summer to beef up my library and not rely so much on our school's librarian :)

Liz
first-grade-frenzy.blogspot.com

morrjm said...

This is so awesome. Thank you so much for sharing.

Jen
http://mrsparkerssecondgrade.blogspot.com

Mrs. Johnson said...

SUCH a good idea with clothespins for labeling! I use tape and yeah... I'm sure you can figure out the rest! Thanks SO much for sharing the labels, as I'm sure I will be borrowing them! That's my project for this summer (one of many): ORGANIZE MY LIBRARY! :)

Molli927 said...

I did my book inventory last year because the majority of my books that students "shop" in are leveled. I just made an excel sheet with columns for title, author, level, holiday/theme, quantity & also if it was a book on tape, big book, etc. It has come in sooooo handy this year, especially when another teacher wants to borrow a book- I can find it much more quickly. Good luck! I wouldn't mind seeing yours when you're done.

Ms.M said...

Those are fantastic. Great job!

Ms. M
www.msk1ell.blogspot.com
msk1ell@gmail.com

Chantelle said...

Your library is so organized! I love it! And, I don't know about everyone else but I would love to see the Excel sheet with all of your books on it so I can compare it to the books I have and maybe get some ideas of what books I should order in the future.

www.theteachingbug.blogspot.com

Amber said...

Thanks for sharing! If you saw my book baskets right now, you would have a heart attack. HA! I see some organizing in my future.

BT DUB, I love your blog!!! :)

First Grade Best said...

Wow! I love it! Thanks for sharing the photos. I do not have storage like that in my classroom so I use clear stacking bins instead, but yours looks so cute! BTW, I just linked your blog to my list!
~Michelle
http://firstgradebest.blogspot.com

Love, Polka Dot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

I was just thinking about how unorganized my personal books are! What a great post to stumble upon!! Thanks for sharing!! :0)

allytymommy said...

Wow! It looks great! I would love an excel spreadsheet to organize my library! What a great idea! :)

Stephanie Rose said...

LOVE these labels. Thank you VERY much for your sharing!!! Could you please let me know what font you used for the text??
Thanks!!!

Mrs. Patton said...

The font is called "Wish I were taller" by Kevin and Amanda. You can download the fonts here: http://www.kevinandamanda.com/fonts/freescrapbookfonts/

Ckrysinski said...

Hello! I'm an Editor for Teacher Created Resources. We have a blog on our website, and we would love to post your idea about organizing your teacher library. Of course, we would credit you and mention your blog on our website. Please email me at ckrysinski@teachercreated.com if you'd be interested in granting us permission. Thank you! -Cristina Krysinski