Friday, March 25, 2011

Yummy Probability!!!

Today, was such a great day with my students! I love it when Fridays go so smoothly so we can end on a great note!

One of the highlights today was my introductory lesson to probability.

I introduced probability with 5 dice in 2 different colors. I showed them probability posters that I made (you'll see these later in the post) to help them with the vocabulary.

Then, I used these to talk about probability with spinners. We talked about it and they tried spinning with different color combinations. I cannot tell you how much they loved the spinner on the board. I think they were mesmerized! :)

 Then, we completed an activity with skittles. They worked with a partner and recorded the color of picks out of the bag on a worksheet and answered some questions to finish. If you are interested in purchasing the activity, it is in my TpT store.

Here is a small picture of one of the posters:


If you are interested in the posters, they are available with my Skittles activity on TpT. Click here to check it out and snatch a copy for yourself!

On another note, I want to make sure you know that I am declaring next week "Organization Week". You can read more about it here.

Also, if you haven't heard of the giveaway on I {Heart} Teaching, check it out! You could win a canopy to hang from your ceiling. Or don't... I really want to win it for my room! This giveaway ends tonight, so hurry on over!

And a little surprise for my faithful readers who made it to the end of this post... The first 5 to leave me a comment with your email will get my Skittles Probability Activity and Posters for FREE!!! One condition... let me know what you think after you use it! :-)

Hope to see you back next week for Organization Week! I can't wait!

-Mrs. Patton


13 comments:

Married to First said...

Can't wait to try it out!

clarkka@deercreek.k12.ok.us

Kris... said...

Love this activity! cropluvingirl@hotmail.com
(Good luck on tonight's giveaway! I'll post the winner tomorrow!)

Mrs. Wilson said...

Probability is coming our way soon- these will be GREAT!!

tink898@msn.com

Thanks for being such an inspiration- happy weekend!

Miss Sullard said...

I'm teaching probability in 2 weeks! I'd love to be your guinea pig! ;)

rsullard@gmail.com

keepcalmandteachon.blogspot.com

Angie said...

Love your ideas!
angiewood4987@gmail.com

Emily said...

I would love a fun probability review!

esdarrah@gmail.com

Mrs. Patton said...

Okay, I'll stop it there. Two of you came in at the same time so I'll give it to 6 of you instead!

Jena Snowden said...

We are starting this Monday! Does your school use CScope? I've noticed we teach a lot of the same concepts around the same time. :)

Jena
1st Grade with Miss Snowden

Mrs. Patton said...

Jena-
I'm not sure about that... haven't heard of it before. Our district gives us the scope and sequence and tells us which investigations and envisions lessons line up. Then, we just fill in the rest with things we have like this skittles activity. :)

Chrissy said...

I'm not in the top five, but I still think it is awesome that you are giving this unit away!

How did you get the spinner on your board? Very cool!

ReadWriteSing

Mrs. Patton said...

The spinners are magnetic on the back! :)

Mrs. Schroeder said...

Trade you my butterfly unit for your probability unit???? Check mine out at www.theschroederpage.com

Monica
www.schroederpage@blogspot.com

Mrs. Lochridge said...

I love incorporating food into math!! It's so engaging! I just created a jellybean math activity unit. Thank you for sharing yours...heading to TpT right now.

First Grade Factory