Sunday, May 8, 2011

New Classroom Photos!

Hey everyone! Hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day! Time4Kindergarten is having a linky party of what we are doing to get ready for next year. With only 19 days left, I'm very ready to be thinking about and getting ready for next year. Go check it out! I'm linking this post.

1. I'm thinking about our Writing Interactive Notebooks (WIN). Right now the WINs are in a folder with brads. I like that I have a table of contents with tabs, but it is very annoying if I ever want to add paper. So... I'm actually thinking of changing some things around with the format and maybe even using a binder. Does anyone have some suggestions of what you would like in a WIN? I think I will make a cute one and put it on Teachers Pay Teachers. Let me know what YOU would be interested in having in it.

2. I went to Wal-Mart and purchased contact paper. I like to use it over my students name tags. Cutting them to size is one of those things that I don't enjoy doing at the beginning of the year, so I put them in the work room for a volunteer to do. We have such a great set-up and so many great parents willing to help out in the work room!

3. I'm trying out a new room arrangement! I figure I should try it now and work out the kinks before next year. I have some pictures below. Now my desk is next to my computer, so answering the phone isn't so difficult! Also, I purchased a rug for my classroom. The kids haven't seen it yet, but I can't wait for them to see! (If you want to compare the old and new pictures of my room, click on classroom photos on the side.) Enjoy!

Here's the rug! You can also see that my desk is now on the other side of my room... next to the computer and phone!

This is a closer view.

Here's the view from the door.

Here is my calendar set-up.

This is where my desk used to be. Now the shelf holds my library and my student library. The blue table is our writing table.



The book boxes are now on the back counter.

I moved the math manipulatives here since I stole two of the bookshelves to go behind my new desk location.



Photobucket

8 comments:

Melissa said...

My classroom has the same color green fabric on all of the boards, with the same black and white polka dot border! I have a ladybug theme in my room. I love how the colors all tie together and it isn't too bright or too boring. I get many compliments on it - I was so surprised to see it in your pictures! Love your classroom!

Amanda K. said...

This is the best time to try out ideas for this year! I always tell my third graders I need to see if something will work for next year's kiddos. Also- I am very interested in your WINs. Do you have a seperate post about them?

Amanda
Third Grade Experience

Mrs. Patton said...

I don't have a separate post about the WINs but I will try and post about that this week so check back!

Stephanie May said...

Love your room! The word wall on the white board is perfect. I am switching to a jungle theme next year and want to use your tree/playhut idea. The kids love those cozy spaces during read to self time.

Kelley said...

I do number 2 as well but I never thought to have a parent volunteer this year do it! I'm so excited to get this out of the way this year as it is one of my least favorite jobs in the Fall! Thanks so much for sharing. I use Reader's Response notebooks in a 1/2 inch. binder which include lots of resources for book responses as well as reading logs for students to record books read independently in class and categorize by genre (we study all genres in third grade). I use it for all reading group response as well. I like having it all in one place and the binders can be reused for a few years. I have a picture of it on a march 31st post of mine called Literacy Block if you want to see how I tab them, etc. Kids store them in their independent reading tubs.

Kelley
Mrs. Randall’s Learning Library

Rachel said...

Cute rug! I'm still waiting to see if I'll have the same classroom next year. 14 days! How about you?
Asartiparty.blogspot.com

Mrs. Mugurussa said...

Thanks for joining the linky party-
As for writers notebooks- Last year I gave all my kids the 3 prong folder with all the resources they'd need, word lists and such and for the actual rough draft copies, they used spiral notebooks. I did it that way for 8 year before changing back to Kindergarten.

Jenny said...

It's nice to know that I am not the only one who tries out next year's set up at the end of the previous year. My co-workers thought I was crazy, but I have noticed that a few of them have changed their rooms around too. Like the new arrangement!