Thursday, May 5, 2011

Spelling Success!

A few weeks ago, we were spending our 2nd week on the spelling concept of Long E. I had just created my Phonics Friends and was so excited to use them. I introduced my students to Long E Dee, and they loved her. When I read the character profile of where she is from, what she eats, what she does, etc., they really got into it! Of course, everything Long E Dee likes has a long E in it. So, we brainstormed a list of things Long E Dee would like, and practiced the different ways of spelling. I have never had so much fun teaching spelling! Then, I gave them the half sheet of paper made for the word bank of Long E words. They wrote down some of the words from our list, then did the Kagan structure "Mix-Pair-Share" to get more ideas. After that, it was glued to a page in their writing notebook for easy reference when they are writing. I wish I could go back in time and teach spelling with my Phonics Friends from the beginning of the year. Well, there's always next year!

Here are some pics of the lesson:








Here is a free sample of my Phonics Friends. It contains the things I showed here for Long E Dee.

Phonics Friends Long E


And guess what... remember how I had a sale on my items in my TPT store Tues-Wed? Well, I made a mistake and scheduled the sale through today! So, that means you can still get Phonics Friends for 20% off! My mistake is your gain! Take advantage!


Photobucket

3 comments:

Mrs. Coe said...

I love your lesson and I also wanted to know if .docstock was easy to use?

www.littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

Mrs. Patton said...

It was fairly easy. I just had to play with the dimensions I wanted when I went to embed it in my blog. The first dimensions I chose were huge!

The Lesson Plan Diva said...

Very Cute!
www.lessonplandiva.blogspot.com