Thursday, June 9, 2011

Read Aloud Library Organized... Check!

Hey bloggie friends! I hope you are finding time to relax and truly enjoy the summertime! I haven't been so great about relaxing, but I'm working on it.

One of the things on my to do list before I left school was to have my read aloud library organized. You may have seen a previous post about my teacher library (same thing, I just call it by two different names), and it probably looked organized to you, but not completely to me! Here is a picture to jog your memory:






What I still needed to do was get a few different baskets for the books that were too big for these lovely containers from Hobby Lobby. So, I got the baskets and now it's completely organized and EVERY book has a home with a label! That makes me very happy! Sorry, but I forgot to snap a picture when I was done. I'll post it once school starts again. If you want those labels, click HERE to get to the post where you can download them.

Here is the big job I accomplished... It may sound silly to some of you, but I could be called the "Excel Spreadsheet Queen". I cataloged my teacher books into a spreadsheet so I know what I have. Turns out that I had 10 doubles of books... so sad! The best part is, I organized them by category so I can search the spreadsheet for a certain topic and know what books I have and exactly what bin I placed them in! No more will I think after a lesson, "Oh I had the perfect book to go with that!" or "Why did I get that book from the library, it's right here!" Here is my spreadsheet if you want to take a look. Feel free to use it for yourself if you'd like. Just let me forewarn you... this is a very BIG job. Don't do it unless you have a lot of time to commit and your appreciation of the finished product outweighs the amount of time you put into it.

Read Aloud Book Spreadsheet



Photobucket

11 comments:

Dana said...

I don't think it's silly! You're just efficient! :) I'm like that myself and plan on doing this same exact thing sometime this summer. I know that was a huge accomplishment!

Dana
3rd Grade Gridiron

Mrs. Johnson said...

Wonderful job! In college, we were required to take Children's Literature as a course, and we created a database of books too. It is so helpful! Thanks for sharing!

Mrs.Voss said...

I am doing the exact same thing!!!!! I have been working on it every night for a week! HOWEVER, mine will take even longer because I am looking up the book's guided reading level and writing it on the inside label, labeling all of my books with an address label that says, "This book belongs to ___. Please take good care of me" AND including the level on my spreadsheet! Talk about a BIG BIG job! I have recruited help (my hubbie)!! So I sympathize and I say CONGRATULATIONS on a job completed!
-amber

The Lesson Plan Diva- A 1st grade blog said...

I had plans on doing this also! Great Job!!

Lesson Plan Diva

Randi said...

Congratulations! This is an enormous job but I know it will be worth it!

Lindsey W said...

Congratulations and your not alone in cataloging your collection! I know how big a job it is I did mine about 2 yrs ago a few baskets a day with matching labels and it was fabulous! then of course i changed grades and books are best kept by theme now so my database only works for all my chapter books. I think I need to go in and update with my kindergarten location. So I guess I'm half way done :-)

Mrs. Lochridge said...

I LOVE being organized!! It feels amazing and makes you feel accomplished.

First Grade Factory

Jenn Bates said...

This is on my To Do list as well. Can't wait to see your after pic. I think there are many of us organization freaks in the teaching world.
Jenn
http://finallyinfirst.blogspot.com/

luvzenkms2(Leea) said...

We will have to plan this as they refer to me at work as the Excel Queen/Computer Queen....If it can't be done in excel it can't be done! We do this with our AR Library and all of our inventories then when we need labels merge them into Word ...SO much easier.....Thanks for sharing....:)

allytymommy said...

I Love it!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Mrs. M said...

Do your students have their own library from which they can choose books as well? I'm trying to set up one in my classroom, and I need help! Do you have any info (or labels!!!) on your blog about setting one up?