Friday, July 22, 2011

Mega Swagbucks Friday and My New Storage Stools!



First of all, if you haven't signed up for Swagbucks yet, you need to! It's a FREE way to earn "swagbucks" that can be used for things like gift cards to Amazon.com. (My favorite, by the way!) Today is a great day to join because it is Mega Swagbucks Friday. That means that when you use swagbucks.com as your search engine, you can earn bigger swagbucks than usual. Check it out by clicking "Sign up" on the widget below:


Now for the new storage stools! I told you last night that I was working on a project, and I'm now finished. You first read about these storage stools at What the Teacher Wants or  Fantastic in First. I decided to make the stools for myself!

Apparently, this has been all over Pinterest, but I just saw it and decided to try it! Here is my version of the tutorial with a few time-saving shortcuts!

Materials:
  • A storage crate for each stool you want to make ($3.88 at Wal-Mart right now! Be sure you get the ones with the lip for hanging files or it won't work!)
  • Plywood (I used 3/8" thick) PRECUT ($11 at Lowe's, cutting is free but you MUST take the crate with you so the happy helper at Lowe's can be sure it fits perfectly!)
  • Spray Adhesive ($5 at Lowe's... much cheaper than at an actual craft store)
  • Foam Mattress Pad ($9 for twin size at Wal-Mart... free if you get an old one from your parents!)
  • Fabric Quarters size 18"x 21" ($1.99 at JoAnn's Fabrics... plus 15% educator discount. I found this to be cheaper and easier than buying fabric by the yard that I would have to trim later
  • Staple Gun (FREE if you borrow from your loving brother like me!)
  • Staples with a shallow depth so they will not stick out of the plywood. I used 1/4" deep staples (FREE because my brother had them on hand!)
  • Scissors
  • Sharpie 
First of all, I said this before and will say it again, Make sure you have the happy helper at your favorite Home Depot or Lowe's cut your plywood for you. DO NOT forget to take your crate with you. He was able to measure, cut, try to fit it in the crate and then cut again to find the exact size. The plywood will fit on the lip of the storage crate made for hanging files. 



1. Gather your supplies.

2. Trace the cut plywood on the mattress pad and cut out.
 3. Use the spray adhesive to adhere the mattress pad to the plywood. *NOTE* If you get the egg crate kind of mattress pad, put the egg crate side down so the seat will not be bumpy on top.
 
4. Lay out one of the fabric quarters and center the board, foam side down, on the fabric.
 5. Wrap the board much like a present, but use the staple gun instead of tape! Look at the pictures below to follow which sides I did first. *NOTE* On the first seat I did, I pulled the fabric too taut, so the seat is uneven. Do not pull the fabric too taut if you want it to look smooth. I think the wrinkles on my seats will come out with time or ironing... but time seems easier! :)







 6. Insert seat into storage crate and admire your creation!


Can't wait to get in my classroom in August, use the space in the stools to free up my cabinets, and use them as chairs at my Guided Reading Table!

Photobucket

28 comments:

Jenny said...

Thank you so much for posting the measurements for the material on the crates. I found a "Fat Quarter Bundle" at Walmart that had 7 different bright colored pieces. These pieces are 18x22 so I wasn't sure they would work. You have confirmed that they will. I did find some crates at the school lunchroom that I thought I could use, only to realize that they don't have a lip. There goes that money saving idea!!!

tmarie said...

Bought my crates today! Now I gotta get back and find material I like! Your crates seats look great!
Tessa
Spotlight on Kindergarten

Alysia Battista said...

They are $3.44 at Target in the college dorm section!
Miss B, Busy Bee

Lindsey W said...

Great work! I'm very impressed!!
Lindsey
Whyte Water

Melissa C. said...

I love it and am thinking of trying it...love your deck furniture. Kohl's?

Deborah said...

Thanks for sharing, and letting us take this journey with you as you created your seats.
Deborah

KP said...

Awesome stools, Colleen! The pictures look great and the step by step instructions are awesome, too!

Katie
http://teachthentell.blogspot.com/

Kristin said...

Fantastic!!! I like the idea of the foam mattress and the squares of fabric! That's awesome! And time-saving!! I think I need to bite the bullet and just do this. All you girls are really inspiring me!
Kristin
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

ReadyOrNot said...

What a clever idea! It's funny my daughter's teacher's name is Mrs. Patton, so I had to check out your blog- now following! I teach middle school, check out my blog if you would like!
http://readyornot-newyear.blogspot.com/2011/07/starbucks-card-giveaway.html

Shelia Hickman said...

How thick was the mattress pad? a half inch thick or one inch thick? Please respond ASAP. Thanks! Shelia

Mrs. Patton said...

Sheila- I think I used one inch.

Shelia Hickman said...

Did you buy the pad at Wal Mart. I live right outside of Charleston, South Carolina and what my Wal Mart carries will not work because it is not smooth on both sides. Thanks so much.

Mrs. Patton said...

If you look very closely at the pics you can see that mine was bumpy like an egg crate on one side. I just glued that side down and it looks great!

Shelia Hickman said...

What my walmart has is bumpy on both sides. Sorry, I guess I worded that wrong that above. I could tell yours was smooth on one side and bumpy on the other side. I found the rolls of foam like What the Teacher wants, but it is expensive. Did you have any foam left out of the twin size pad after making 6 stools? Thanks so much for your help.

dbs0786 said...

Sheila (above blogger). I live in Charleston too, you're the first person I've seen from this area! I'm about to go on the hunt for the mattress pads tomorrow, so I'm interested to see who carries what we're looking for. Awesome post, Mrs. Patton!!!!

Sarah said...

*GASP* These turned out so cute! Thanks for sharing this tutorial with us ;)

Lory said...

So darling!!!
Lory
Lory's Page

Rebecca said...

Just found your blog today and loved this seating/storage idea! Just have one concern--do you think 5th graders could fit on them?

Miss Conrad said...

Working on these this week.....Did they hold up??

Mrs. Patton said...

Rebecca- I don't know if they are strong enough for fifth graders or not. They seem pretty strong, but fifth graders are much bigger than 1st graders... Sorry, but I'm just not sure!

Mrs. Patton said...

Miss Conrad-
I just made them about a month ago, so I haven't tried them with the students yet. From what I've heard, though, they hold up pretty well! Good luck!

Miss Conrad said...

Awesome thanks! Hoping to make them within the next few days! :)

Terry(BZTeacher) said...

Super, super cute!!!! I'm thinking of making some to put in my Kdg reading/library corner. One can never have too much storage space!

Nicole said...

I am impressed with your work! Thanks for the step by step pictures and cost break down. Very cute and functional!

Nancy C said...

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. I made 5 of them and just brought them to school. I decided I would store different math items in each one. In one of them I have mult. flashcards, a multiplication game, a multiplication grid to practice, an electronic mult game. I'm excited to see how well they are received (and hold up).

Thanks!

Jessica Hilton said...

You can also make a loop with ribbon so that it is easier to get open. Just staple it to the bottom as well...

Jessica Hilton said...

You can also make a loop with ribbon so that it is easier to get open. Just staple it to the bottom as well...

Jolie Reid said...

Do you think you could make a base for these, or put wheels to make them taller? I work with 3rd - 5th grade, and I am afraid these would be too short.