Friday, August 12, 2011

My Take on Paint Chip Word Families

Have you seen this word family activity floating around Pinterest or other blogs? I decided to take the idea, and tweak it a little.

I found these paint chips that already had the holes cut out.


Then, I cut them apart and wrote word families on them.

I didn't like the idea of using another paint chip for the beginning of the words. It only lets you put a few letters on it. So, instead I chose to use paint stirrers. This let me put a lot more letters on it.



In case you missed it, I found out this week that I will be teaching kindergarten instead of first grade. I get to stay in the same room, though, so that's good! Once I get settled, you will see more kindergarten ideas than 1st grade ideas. Of course, most things can be adapted, but I just wanted to give you a heads up! I went ahead and changed my banner on my blog design, too!

Be sure to check out my Donor's Choose Project. Only one day left!

I sure hope you are enjoying getting ready for the school year!


Photobucket

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this project!! I think the paint stirrers are a brilliant idea :) Thanks for sharing!!

Fran Kramer said...

I use these for everything! I got paint stirrers for essential questions but I love your idea you smart lady! I use paint chips to make little books with their photo and name on a label. It is so quick and easy. This is a great idea for my kinders later in the year.

Chrissy said...

Very nice!

Yippee, you are in kindergarten! Have a fabulous first day!

(I posted pics of my room, from orientation.)ReadWriteSing

Miss. Foehser said...

This is so cute!!! I will definitely be using this!!

Fern Smith said...

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy Kindergarten! In this economy a job is a blessing from God! Your students will be so lucky to have you! Thanks for the word family idea, I have not seen it yet!
~Fern
Fern Smith’s Classroom Ideas!

Stephanie said...

You will love kindergarten! Good Luck!

Stephanie

First Grade in the Desert said...

Love this idea! Thanks!

S. Parker said...

I am host a paint chip project linky party. This would be great. Hope you will link up. http://learningwithmrsparker.blogspot.com/2011/10/chips-anyone.html