Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Listening Center Organization

I just introduced Listen to Reading today, and here is how it looks:




I got the idea from Mrs. McDavid's class website. If you click the link and scroll down to listening center, you can see where it came from.



I purchased the shower caddies at Hobby Lobby for under $2 each. Inside of each caddy is the book, headphones and an iPod Shuffle with that book loaded on it. I like the Shuffles for kindergarten because they are mostly indestructible. The only downfall is that it is difficult to pick a specific track when there are multiple tracks on it. So, to fix that, I just have one track on each shuffle. My kiddos really enjoyed this today!




By the way, I did not record myself reading these books. I just loaded the CDs that come with scholastic books when you order them in the package.

As a side note, if you are someone who expressed interest in using Skype with my class, don't worry I haven't counted you out. I just haven't gotten to the emailing part yet because I'm not sure how I want it to look exactly. You should be hearing from me in the next week or so!


Photobucket

9 comments:

Kristin said...

Did you buy your own shuffles?? JEALOUS!!!! I have the old fashioned listening center.
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Sarah said...

Love this center! It's definitely something I would have gravitated to as a child :)

Amy said...

I was wondering about the shuffles too.. I have some money coming from our home and school association, but wondered where you found yours,did you buy them or get a grant? I LOVE the idea and it seems it would be easy :)
Thanks, Amy in NC

Mrs. Patton said...

The iPod Shuffles are only $49 each, so my hubby bought me 2 last Christmas. Then, I bought one at the Apple store last week. Our PTA will reimburse us for up to $50 each year, so I used it on that. I love them! Notice I had a space for a 4th one... Christmas please? :)

Mary said...

I am passing on The Versatile Blogger Award to you! Thank you for all of the amazing inspiration. Come on over to grab the button!

Mary
Adventures in Kindergarten

Laura Starnes said...

I am passing along the I Heart Your Blog award!

Laura
Kinder Kraziness

Suzanne said...

Congratulations!
You and your blog are nominated for the The Versatile Blogger Award. Please share seven things about yourself and pass the award along to the most versatile blogs you follow. Follow the link below for all the details.

Thank you so much for sharing what you do! It doesn’t just take a village to raise a child-it also takes a village to teach one. Thanks for being part of my village. I appreciate your willingness to share your time and talents!

Sincerely,
Suzanne

http://guidedmathstudygroup.blogspot.com/2011/10/versatile-blogger-award.html

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Hi there,
I just happened on your blog while searching for "using the iPod Shuffle with Daily 5". I've been using the silly cassette tapes and tape walkmans, but they are driving me a little bit crazy. The Shuffles are quite reasonable price wise, but my concern is how do the kids know what book to use if they can't see what is going to play - without a screen. I stopped by the apple store this weekend and asked them, and they weren't much help. Since you are using them, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I'll check back on the comments here or feel free to come by my blog and respond. I'd really appreciate your expertise. :) Thanks!

Mrs. Drakes Pre K Bear Paws said...

I love the idea of the shuffle. Even my pre-kers knows how to operate those. But my CD player- not so much. I wish I had your financial resources. Maybe I could put a shuffle on my plz from parents wish list.
Thanks for sharing. Love your blog. I'm a new follower and hope you will return the follow to my blog. It's so new and lonely. :-)
Peggy D
http://prekbearpaws.blogspot.com/