Sunday, September 4, 2011

Student-Generated ABC Chart

With my recent switch to Kindergarten I am finally feeling like I have a handle on things... only took a couple of weeks!!!

One of the activities I just finished with my students was creating a student-generated ABC chart. For the first 2 weeks of school, I felt kind of funny because I didn't have my store bought ABC chart above my board. The space was left empty for THEIR work. I had my students work in partners or on their own (whichever they preferred) to create an ABC chart for above the board. I already had typed up the letters so they were big enough to see. The students decided what picture they could draw that started with the letter of their page, then I wrote the word below it.

Here are a couple of samples of my students' work:





This is so powerful because it really means something to them. I never would have thought of "tornado siren" for the t, but one of my kindergartners did!

If you are interested in the materials for this activity, they are available in my Letter-Sound Awareness Pack on Teachers Pay Teachers. It is packed with different kinds of cards and activities for introducing or reinforcing letters and their sounds. In fact... I'm so excited about this pack that I'd love to give it to the first 5 people for free. Leave me a comment with your email, and I'd be glad to send it to you!



Photobucket

20 comments:

Tammy said...

I love this idea! I didn't hang up as much either and I almost felt ashamed when other teachers came in because room was not "complete!" I am loving what the kids are creating. I hear them talking about it and better yet...they are using them! I would love a packet!
livelovelaughkindergaten@gmail.com
Live Love Laugh Everyday In Kindergarten

Danielle Davenport said...

Love it! So meaningful!
davedanielle@comcast.net

S. Parker said...

Love it. www.learningwithmrsparker.blogspot.com

S. Parker said...

Oops. @gmail.com

Rene said...

What a great idea! I would love a copy.

renetowens@sbcglobal.net

christine said...

What powerful idea! I'd love a copy!

kcahcrim@comcast.net

TeachK said...

This is amazing!! I was also thinking of using it to make a book to put in the librbary that they can look at and take owner ship of. You are very talented!! Thanks for sharing your talents!

Michelle
maconsalo@interact.ccsd.net

katyemma said...

What an awesome idea!
katyemmaholmes@gmail.com

Caroline Brantley said...

I would love a copy! It's so meaningful to the kids.
brantcc@bay.k12.fl.us

Emily said...

What a fabulous idea! I would like a copy, please!

ethompson@libertyhill.txed.net

Thanks!!

Sue said...

I love child generated posters, drawings and print. I would love a copy if you have one to spare. thanks, sue

The Sherman Four said...

What a great idea! I am new to kinder this year too!!!! I love your blog! Love that they "own" their abc chart now! girlforgod27@aol.com

Rene said...

WOW!! What a great packet! There are ABC cards that would be great for a mini pocket chart that was a $1.00 at Target over the summer. I have already started printing them and will have them laminated for Tuesday. The students will love making the posters. Thank you for making this wonderful packet! I was lucky to be one of the first 5 but it is worth purchasing!

Allison said...

I love this idea!!! Thank you, thank you!! I love your blog.

Marcy said...

I'm a huge follower of your blog. I like your idea! My e mail address is: marcy_sundling@hotmail.com

Lisa (Born to Teach) said...

I love it!!

Mrs. Patton said...

I'm so glad that so many of you were interested in this! I cannot tell you how excited I was to upload it to Teachers Pay Teachers. If you were not one of the first five to comment, be sure to check it out at my TPT store... like Rene said, it's more than just the ABC chart... it has 3 different sets of cards as well. I feel so bad that I can't send it to more than five of you, but like I tell my kindergartners, "I say what I mean, and I mean what I say!"

Mrs. Wheeler said...

I hope I can get this! I have an old Handwriting Without Tears alphabet chart up and it stinks! My email is meganwheeler44@yahoo.com

Thanks!!!!
www.mrswheelerfirst.blogspot.com

Constance said...

I would love this!

crhdouglas@gmail.com

Beadboard said...

Welcome to KDG! Looks like you've made a FABULOUS transition. I love your I CAN photo direction cards!! I hope you'll be able to share others with us as you introduce new stations. The photo cards help me get a mindset for each staion as well! Keep up the great work.