Monday, October 17, 2011

iTouches and I Can Statements

My Donor's Choose project for 3 iTouches was funded, and I finally got everything together to use them in my classroom. I loaded apps after trying out some free ones and buying the full versions of the ones I liked best, then created these I Can cards. One thing I wanted to do for my students during Reading Workshop was to create some way for them to pick options based on what they need to learn. For kindergarten, I thought it was a difficult task and I needed to get creative. So, I decided to create I Can cards that were depicted with clip art. I have it for all kinds of things from I can form letters to I can write sight words. It has also spilled over to math, but I'll get to that later in another post!

Anyway, all that to say that I wanted my kids to be purposeful in choosing the apps they use. So, I have cards with a mini I Can Statement on top and a screen shot of the apps that correspond. You can see what I mean below.






I'll elaborate more later on the I Can cards I made. I LOVE them :) Lessons are so clear when the objective is not only stated, but depicted, too!


Photobucket

14 comments:

Mrs. Morris said...

I love this idea. I might have to do this with my iTouches. Thanks for sharing!

Tracy said...

GREAT idea!!!!

Kreative in Kinder said...

Any chance you will post them? I have an ipod for my kids too and would love to use this!
<>< Crystal

Kristin said...

EXCELLENT! Now, if only I had some iPod Touches . . . I am JEALOUS!!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Busy Bees said...

Ditto Crystal about hoping you will post them. I just started ipods/ipads last week and love this idea!! What a great idea!!
Robynn
BusyBees

S. Parker said...

Love this idea! I really want to try to get one iPad for my classroom from Donor's Choose.

MrsWatson said...

Yes! This is fantastic! Next week i am getting 5 iPads and i am trying to get my head around how to use them. These would be great! I hope you do post them! :)
Rachelle

Shelly said...

Please post! :)

Shelly
projectqn@tx.rr.com

Mrs. Cole said...

Are those Ipod Touches? How much did that cost you? I am looking into getting donations for my classroom and would love to use techology.

Diana
coleslittlepups.blogspot.com

Sara said...

Ditto on posting them. I would love to see a close up of your cards. I am in the process of individualizing my iTouches for my class and am having a difficult time coming up with an easy yet useful way.These look like they may do the trick

Kinder Time said...

I just found this post. We will get 10 iPads after the New Year with grant money. Have you thought about putting the "I Can" cards on TPT?I would love to use them!

ohpmom said...

Where can we get copies of your cards for IPAD with pics on them? Are you selling them?

Kimberly Groneberg said...

Wow! These are great. I taught kindergarten this year and wish I had seen this earlier. Which apps did you end up choosing? Did you keep your template and would you mind sharing it?

Great work.

Anna Gaiter said...

I would love a copy of your cards! Please consider posting them! Thanks!