Sunday, December 11, 2011

Free Online Digital Library


I just came across something that you have got to check out. It is a site called We Give Books. Created by the Penguin Group and Pearson Foundation, their goal is to put books in the hands of children who don't have them by reading them on the internet. In doing this, they help some of the best literacy organizations in the world by spreading the word about their great work. In my opinion, the best part is that after you read a book with your class, you can click "Give a Book". By clicking this button, the organization will donate a book to someone who needs it. You can also choose certain initiatives to support.

I have set up an account and already found a book I want to read for a social studies lesson. We are going to look at how technology has changed in the home. I plan to read Goodnight Moon with them, and then compare it to the new online book Goodnight iPad.

Here is a look at the books I found in about 10 minutes and have saved in my library:


Go check it out! They say that they add new books every month. I can't wait to see what's next!


Photobucket

9 comments:

S. Parker said...

This looks wonderful! I can't wait to use it with my students and my son at home. Thank you! :)

Camille said...

Wow! Thanks for the find! I just looked it over and wanted to touch base with you. Are YOU going to be the one doing the reading? I was thinking I could sign up my class, but it looks like each person needs to be signed up individually. Is that right? Maybe I could sign up and add it to my Sqworl and my students could use my account. How do you plan on using this tool?
Camille
An Open Door

Amber Polk said...

Love this!!

Emily said...

This is so cool!! Thanks for sharing :)

B. Roper said...

Great idea... I just blogged about it also! It is an amazing resource! I love your blog!

Ms.M said...

Thanks this is wonderful!

Ms. M
Ms.M's Blog
A Teacher's Plan

Mrs. K said...

Just visited the sight and did some serious browising...WOW!! What a FABULOUS resource!!!! Thank you so much for sharing:)

... said...

Thanks a lot!!! This is just awesome!!!

Kristy said...

Thanks for sharing this site! It looks great. I can't wait to use it tomorrow!

Teachin' First