Thursday, January 26, 2012

Handling the Roller Coaster


So when you look at that picture, what does it remind you of? For me, once I get over the wonderful feeling it would give me in my tummy, I think of teaching. No, I don't mean that I think teaching is spinning in circles... most days. However, haven't you heard of the education roller coaster? You know, how many days can be great, and then other days are not so great? It's like the motion of a roller coaster.

My question is about how you deal with this roller coaster. I know for me, it is the one thing that can really get me down. Sometimes, I work so hard on something that I am SURE will go over well with my kids and keep them engaged when it does exactly the opposite... happened a few times this week by the way.

What helps me to get through it and manage it is lots and lots of prayer, faith in him answering my prayers and knowing he's right by my side, and talking with colleagues, my husband, or my mom.

I think it's great for us to talk about this since it's there in every classroom no matter how perfectly adorable it may appear on a blog. I know Abby at The Inspired Apple talked about it last week.

So, how do you manage this "roller coaster"? I'd love to hear!


Photobucket

5 comments:

Amanda said...

This is the day I had today and I literally couldn't figure out how to say it...this is the perfect way :)

Kimberly said...

It is a roller coaster. But, it is so worth it to know that we are making a difference in the lives of so many children.
Kimberly
Funky First Grade Fun

Tania Knapp said...

Today is not a good day for me to try to answer your question. Not a good day for me.
Hugs to you :)

Camille said...

Sigh. I feel like the roller coaster I am riding is with the other teachers at my school. Do you ever feel that way? I can be riding high with my class and then something happens with another teacher that brings me down low, low, low. The unkind remarks, the gossiping .. it all brings me down. BUT when I close my door and just teach my kiddos, there are those wonderful highs (and yes lows, but never meanspirited lows).
Camille
An Open Door

Miss Foote said...

I am blessed with a wonderful class this year...so I am basking in it, til the storm brews for next:-) Each day I pray for my kids. I sit in their seat and pray for their day. I have 28 students, so each day I pray for five or six. That way by the end of the week I have gotten to them all. On a less serious side, when I need a good laugh I check out:
http://heygirlteacher.tumblr.com/

Laurie
Chickadee Jubilee