Monday, January 16, 2012

I Can Statements for iTouches... FREEBIE!

Many of you have been asking for and have been so patiently waiting for me to post this freebie. If you saw this blog post, you know what I am talking about.

Okay, let me back up a little bit and explain something about my Reading Workshop block. When I first started teaching, I adopted the style of Daily 5. I liked that the students had choice, but I really didn't like the writing center as we already had a writing workshop time where the students produced much better work than they did in the writing center. 

During my 2nd year of teaching, I changed the writing center to "Write About Reading". Here, the students could write about their favorite part, questions they had, etc about a book in their book box. 

At the beginning of this year, I figured something needed to change again since I was moving from 1st grade to kindergarten. I still wanted to give my students choice, but with all of the talk about Formative Assessment and I Can statements, I had an idea! This is how my students choose their center at Reading Workshop:





I have a small space on my wall like you see above labeled with different I Can Statements. We have talked a lot about what each one means and how to decide what they need to work on. Then, my students choose a center with that label. Here is how some of my stations are organized and labeled:


I know it's blurry, but I have that cart that stores my word work materials and they are labeled with the I Can statement that matches the work inside. (Sorry, but I could only find this picture of the cart. The other ones are being used and are labeled to match the board they choose on as well.)

I wanted to continue this purposefulness in them choosing iTouch apps since I got those from Donor's Choose. So, now I have these in each bucket with the iTouches:


If you would like to have a PowerPoint version of these I Can Cards that you can partially edit, follow the directions on this document and click below to download.

Editable I Can Apps

If you like them the way they are, you can download the freebie from my Teachers Pay Teachers store.

If you like what you see, please leave me a comment. I read every one!









Photobucket

17 comments:

Lisa Lizak and Beth Wright said...

These are AWESOME! Thanks for sharing the great freebie :) Have a happy rest of your day!

Lisa :)
Made In The Shade In Second Grade

Kara said...

I love the way you set up your "I Can" statements for writing time!

Camille said...

Colleen, This is brilliant! You have made it simple so that your studens can be fully responsible, yet they are working on important skills! Well done!
Camille
An Open Door

Miss Squirrels said...

I love that they have choice. and I am trying to figure out how to incorporate the ribbon- GENIUS!!!!
Staci

Going Nutty!

misssquirrels@yahoo.com

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

I am loving this! Thank you for sharing!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Erika said...

I love the clips on the ribbon for choices. Easy peasy.

2B Honey Bunch
The Best Endings

Heidi Samuelson said...

These look great and I'd love to modify for my firsties, however, doc stock doesn't like me and wants me to pay to download. Do you have any other suggestions or are you selling these somewhere?
Thanks!

Mrs.LaSota's Blog said...

I have used "skill cards" for about 5 years now. I like your twist on adding apps that they can use to practice! Very creative! ;)

Mrs. Patton said...

Heidi-

Send me your email, and I'd be happy to send it to you. They are not for sale... they are free!

Simone said...

You are so creative! This is a great idea!Its also nice to follow a fellow Christian educator! Come check out my blog!

-Simone
busyasahoneybee.blogspot.com

Esmer said...

I love these I'm definetly using them in my class. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

These are awesome. Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to use them in my classroom.

Meredith said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I just fixed the link for the blank game sheet-thanks for letting me know about that!
Keen on Kindergarten

The Owl said...

Thank you for sharing. I am student teaching and plan on using my own ipad with the students so these ideas will help me with my own portfolio.

Mrs. Broadhead said...

Thanks for sharing and being the spark I need to adapt and try new things with my third graders!!!

Jeni said...

I would love to be able to download the version to edit, but I also cannot access the document without it asking for a credit card number. :(

Unknown said...

I LOVE these cards! Can I access the editable version so I can add apps we already access? I tried clicking the link but the host sight is closing and won't allow new users!