Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Introduction to Student Engagement

Every year, I like to talk with my kids about engagement.

I like to do this for a few reasons:
  • It lets me know what kinds of things they like best so I can better plan my lessons.
  • It helps them to learn more about themselves and their learning styles.
  • It lets them know that I truly care about how they learn.
  • It is fun!
One of my sweet teammates talked with her kindergarten class about ways  they enjoy learning best (i.e. with or without a partner, with or without music, technology, games, quiet or loud, etc.) I decided to start talking about engagement using her idea. Here are the things my students came up with:

I like to work on my own. I like to work with music. I like to work with games.

I like to learn with iTouches. I like to learn with iPads. I like to work with a partner.

I like to work by myself. I like to work with iPads. I like to play games.

I like to work with a partner. I like to play on computers.

I like school. I like to use timers. I like iPads.

I like games. I like iPads. I like to work with partners.


Looks like I need to plan more lessons with iPads! This is such a fun activity to do with your students. If you try it, let me know how it goes!


Photobucket

4 comments:

Randi said...

This makes so much sense. Sometimes we need to just stop and ask them! I now "LIKE" you on Facebook.


Randi @ Teach It With Class
My TPT Store
My Facebook Page

KatieRzLOVESk said...

Great idea! Thanks! :)

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

Looks like fun..I may have to try it! =)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Kristin said...

What a great idea!!!!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher