Monday, January 23, 2012

My Favorite Technology Integration This Year!

I am so excited to be able to share this idea with you... I mean completely ecstatic!

I did a lesson a couple of weeks ago that was so much fun... for me and the kids. It was one of those lessons that you just can almost sit back and watch (even in kindergarten) because they are THAT engaged. No surprise to most of you, I'm sure, but most of the engagement was because it involved technology. So here's how it went...

During the week we had been talking about word problems in math and how to solve them. During free choice time at the end of the day, the kids came up to my computer and I typed up their word problems that they came up with in an Xtranormal video.  From there, I created a QR code to link to the video and put it on the front of a folder with blank pages inside. Then, for our lesson they used iPads to scan QR codes that linked to their videos, and they solved the problem right in the folder for the video. The best part is, all of the solutions to the problems were in the folder so we could easily compare strategies. They had a blast! Check out the photos to see them in action!




Here is a sample problem that I made so you can get the feel for the word problems:


If you have access to something that can scan QR codes, I strongly encourage you to try this. It was SOO much fun!

Anyone have other ideas for using QR codes? I'd love to hear them!



Photobucket

18 comments:

Jennifer said...

OMG- I LOOOOOOOVE this! This is AWESOME! Thank you for sharing!
Rowdy in First Grade

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

Super cool!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Jennifer said...

How did you create the QR code to link it to the video?

Rowdy in First Grade

Mrs. Patton said...

Jennifer-

After I made the video, I published it on Xtranormal and copied the direct link to the video. Then, I pasted it into a QR code generator and saved the QR code as a JPEG to put in my powerpoint. Here is a link to a QR code generator: http://www.qrstuff.com/
Let me know if you give it a try!

Mary said...

HOW MUCH FUN! I am using ipads and ipods in my room, but that idea had never occurred to me!!
I would love to share apps with you!
I love Monkey preschool Sunshine and Timmy's Kindergarten Adventure.

teachingdude said...

I love how you made the movie. What program did you use to make that video?

The Kinder Garden said...

That's awesome! I am jealous you have so many iPads in your classroom. Love using technology.

Mrs. Patton said...

teachingdude- I used xtranormal.com to create the video.

And everyone... I don't have 26 iPads in my classroom, we have a couple class sets to share at our school of over 600... :)

Runde's Room said...

oooooo - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Must try something like this right away ... and perhaps have my principal walk by right at the perfect time ... ;)

Jen
Runde's Room

Karla Kueber said...

I love this! I'm completely obsessed with the ipads in the classroom. I love that you went the math route and created something new! It's amazing how much the kids (and teachers :) love them!

~Erica~ said...

Absolutly fantasic!! I want to do this so bad! I went and practiced making a video. My question is "points". Did you make all the videos the same background and character so that you didn't have to fund more points? I can't wait to give this a try!!!

Busy Bees said...

Just heard about QR codes tonight at a tech meeting after school. Kept hearing from teachers that teach older grades how easy it was. Now you are proof...will have to give it a try!!
Robynn
BusyBees

Tamera said...

Oh my Goodness! I LOVE this. I have created 3 in the past 30 minutes. Thank you so much for sharing.
:) Tamera

Jennifer Gibson said...

I used QR codes this year with my 3rd graders, too. It was so cool. They found online information or created online projects and made a QR code to put in our class display where others had made some tangible products. You can read about it at my blog, Lifelong Learning
It was great fun, and definitely something I will do again!

Jennifer

The Lemonade Stand said...

This rocks!!! I just created my first lesson using QR codes this month. This will rock my students' worlds!! Can't wait to do this! Thanks for sharing!

Melissa, DillyDabbles said...

So fun and amazing!! I long for even 1 ipad to use in my classroom.

DillyDabbles

Kelli said...

We are working on a project that extends ideads in childrens lit by scanning a QR code. (Can't wait to share on our TpT site: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Math-Science-With-Tlc) For example, in the book Monarch Butterfly by Gail Gibbons, we have 4 codes that you put on specific pages--one is where the larvae hatches from the egg. While the book gives an illustration, the QR code gets scanned and goes to a video showing the real thing! Love it. Feel free to post titles or visit our blog (we just started it) for more info...
http://mathsciencewithtlc.blogspot.com/

Smarties said...

I used the QR codes with my class. I have a set of 7 ipod touches. So I created QR codes of my class's names. I paired up the code with a picture of an animal and put the codes up around the room. The kids had to try to find their own names. I added the picture to make it easier for them to remember where their own names were located. I had a recording sheet of anmimals for the kids to put a classmates' name next to. They loved loved loved this activity. We did it again and all I did was change up the animal pictures so the code with with a different animal. So fun.
I need to blog about it.
Claire
firstgradesmarties.blogspot.com