Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Writing with My Students?

I have heard many people say that teachers shouldn't write when their students do, and I have read things that say otherwise. 

I don't usually write when my kids do, but today I did. For our mini-lesson, I shared a long drawn-out story about how much fun I had going to Six Flags with my friends. Then, I read them the story I had written. It said something like "I went to Six Flags. It was fun!" Of course, they were all shocked when I said that was the end. My point was that just like their expression when I was done, others have that reaction to stories they write if they don't tell many details or answer questions the readers have.

Anyway, I decided that I would sit down at the table where students were working hard. I didn't want to go somewhere that I would be distracted because I really wanted to write and get busy! It was fun watching them work so hard so the teacher could work at the table with them. Once I got over sitting in kindergarten chairs under kindergarten tables, it was kind of fun. I think I'll be doing that again tomorrow since they enjoyed it so much.

How awesome it is for our students to see that we are writers, too! And... if we expect them to do their best on books even if it means working on it for a week or two, shouldn't we model that for them? Just a thought!

Anyone else ever write with their kiddos?

Photobucket

8 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Hi! I LOVE this idea! I've also heard it's great to sit down and read with your kids. My mom teaches high school and has said she sometimes will bring in her own chapter book and have "quiet reading time" with her group. She said she thinks it's important to show her students that sitting and reading is not something students just do, but is also something adults do as well. I think that's an important message for all age groups.

I LOVE that you incorporated the importance of adding details to your lesson. I am totally stealing your idea when I introduce adjectives. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Lyndsey
ayearofmanyfirsts.blogspot.com

Jennyfer said...

I have been writing with my students since we launched our writer's workshop and I love it! We spend the first 5-10 minutes of independent writing doing "no walk, no talk" where all people in the room are writing. Then when I start the music it's time to confer with my stduents for the last 10 - 15 minutes of independent writing. I choose a different table to work at each day.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your experience, I think it's valuble for the students to see us as authors too!

Jennyfer
www.teachinginthecouv.blogspot.com

Clutter-Free Classroom said...

What a great way to show the importance of details.


❤Jodi from...
★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
Helping Teachers Get Organized

Ashley said...

As a laid off teacher, I do not remember ever writing with my students. I do remember reading during D.E.A.R. time though. I think writing with the students occassionally is an awesome idea! It is not something I would do everyday, but if you find something that motivates your students, you do it!

Ashley
Live2Learn

Heather Shelton said...

I love this idea! I have read with my kids before, but never wrote with them. I too am stealing this idea to show emphasis on adding detail to your picture and stories. Thank you for sharing!

Miss T said...

I do! And they always want to know what my illustration will be. And read to self time, if I don't conference with them, I read a book. They eat that up!
Journey of a Substitute Teacher

Amanda said...

What a great way to motivate the kids to write!!! I will definitely be trying this!!! :)

-Amanda
http://amandasadventuresinteaching.blogspot.com/

Ms. Patterson said...

Hi,
Thanks for visting my blog. I don't actually remember where I got the donor choose banner but I do know that I had to search the site a while to find the banner.

I am sorry that I can't be more help! I have looked for 20 mins and I can't even find it myself

I will keep looking though

Pocket Full of Kinders