Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Kindergarten Project Based Learning

Have you been hearing much about Project Based Learning? I am very new to the concept, but I love it. Please know that I am not an expert by any means, but I wanted to share a bit about my experiences with you.

To me, project based learning is all about getting students excited about learning content you have to teach anyway. It involves coming up with a problem that students will want to take ownership in solving. I've heard some say, "How is this any different than teaching with thematic units?" I can see how it could seem like a thematic unit because it ties multiple concepts across content areas into one problem. However,  it is not tied to a random topic that we have cute clip art for. It is about a problem that students with enjoy discovering how to solve.

Anyway, when you do a PBL (project based learning) in your classroom, the key component is the entry event. It is the thing that gets students excited about diving into the unit of study.  The first one I did was about farm animals. We needed to cover non-fiction in reading and writing workshop, and needed to talk about animals for science. So, I came up with this Voki for my entry event:


After that, my class had to come up with how we were going to solve the problem. We brainstormed things on a farm, talked about where we would find information, and ultimately came up with our driving question; What would Buster need to do to take care of a farm?



My students each chose different animals, tools or plants they wanted to study for the farm. They found information in books or on videos I found on the internet. The structure of creating the product was much like a research project I posted about last year.

I wish I had taken pictures of the books they created, but I sent them home after our Open House without even thinking about it.

Another key part to a PBL is the audience. A typical research project may be a self-selected topic by a student, but it doesn't always have an entry event and an audience. Turns out, Open House was the perfect timing for our PBL, and the parents ended up being the audience. 

That was my first shot at a PBL. We are currently doing another one centered around zoo animals. The things we needed to study in science were already timed with our zoo field trip. To turn it into a PBL, we just added an entry event, a driving question, lots of student direction, and an audience. I'll let you know more about that in a couple of weeks when it's over.

In the mean time, if you are intrigued or interested in the idea of Project Based Learning, check out this site that my principal shared with us. It has lots of great ideas and videos for all grade levels. Let me know if you have had any experience with PBLs or plan to try one of your own!

PS- I'm a five star blogger! Check out this post by Charity Preston of The Organized Classroom Blog to see if you are, too!

Photobucket

15 comments:

School Sparks Renee said...

Project based learning seems like the way to go! It's always great when you can excite kids about learning! Thanks for sharing this. Renee

Sprinkle Teaching Magic (Sheila) said...

Very interesting. I look forwards to looking in to this more for use in my classroom and visiting the link you posted.

Sheila

Sprinkle Teaching Magic

Jennifer said...

I've been hearing a little about this. Do you know of any online trainings? Or any books that tell more about it?
Rowdy in First Grade

grace said...

I'm moving to a brand new school next year that will be using PBL...I'll be watching your blog for more posts! Love how you started with the Voki! Am excited and a little nervous about diving in!
I've been reading a lot on Edutopia...have flagged the site you mentioned to go back and read!

aroma said...

Great project. Loved how you used the Voki. Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca said...

I've enjoyed my visit to your blog! I'm so happy to be a 5 star blogger too! Come by when you get a chance!

Blogging Blessings,
Rebecca

Miss Trayers said...

That's on my list to read more about and try to implement more next year. I truly believe it expands their thinking skills. Thanks for sharing your ideas-great inspiration! :)

NotJustChild'sPlay

Cindy Del Valle said...

There is a charter school in my hometown that teaches bases on PBL. It seems very interesting!

Cindy @ primary reading party
Primaryreadingparty.blogspot.com

Sue said...

I'm your newest follower and fellow 5 Star blogger. Cute blog!

Sue
www.sos-supply.blogspot.com

Ms. Kerri said...

I gave a shout out to you on my blog today. Come check it out.
http://mskerriandherkrazykindergarten.blogspot.com/2012/04/loving-small-group-instruction.html

The Organized Classroom Blog said...

Great post! Definitely a 5-Star Blogger! Thanks for linking up!

Charity
The Organized Classroom Blog

Cecelia Likun said...

I really glad to know further about this blog which help my research about PBL. Hope to get more information from this blog soon...thanks ya..

Joni Taylor said...

We use pebblego.com for kindergarten research-very kinder friendly.

Mo Dan said...

I am a STEM Academy Director in a whole school that is just learning what PBL is from teachers to students to staff. PBL is a way of life just like losing weight and keeping it off. The first thing that teachers have to do is get outside the box and let the traditional way of doing things move to the back burner. I tell the teachers here..."it's not what we're teaching...it's HOW we're teaching it. Many states educational systems are still in the dark ages. quote…we’re sending our kids into a 21st century economy by sending them through the doors of 20th century schools.

Mo Dan said...

Just a note: Buck Institute of Education (BIE) has some of the best literature going when it comes to PBL. They have a fantastic book library in their resource area that can help even the most timid teachers.