Thursday, April 12, 2012

Signal Words Mini-Lesson

In the past couple of weeks, we have been reading books during Reading Workshop mini-lessons and noticing the signal words that "tell us something is going to change in the story". 

After their experience with this in reading, we created an anchor chart for signal words to use in their writing. 



We related signal words to signs on the road because they tell us to notice something that is changing just like signs tell us to notice or do something differently.

Here is the book that we read before making the anchor chart:


It's called City Signs by Zoran Milich.

Now that we have the anchor chart, my kindergartners are coming up to me in the middle of read to self time to tell me that they found a signal word in the book and they can't wait to use it when they write. :)



Photobucket

6 comments:

Miss T said...

Love the anchor chart!


Journey of a Substitute Teacher
Journey of a Substitute Teacher FB

Sarah said...

I love that you call them signal words! That is definitely going to be a term I introduce to my first graders that seem to fit two pages of writing into one loooooooooooooooong sentence.

Love your anchor chart and thanks for the cute idea!

Sarah
www.thefabulousfirstgrade-sarah.blogspot.com

Sprinkle Teaching Magic (Sheila) said...

Great connection for students. Love how they will visualizes the signs as they write.

I will try this! Thank you for sharing.

Sheila

Sprinkle Teaching Magic

Kristin Young said...

What a smart idea! I've seen a lot of lesson using first, then, next and last to WRITE a story but hadn't thought to have the kids recognize them as they're reading... :p

Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

Cynthia said...

I bet you're loving kindergarten aren't you? I taught it for 16 years before moving to 2nd grade and there will always be a part of me that misses it. Just wish I had been able to keep the energy level for it!

I'm your newest follower. :-)
Cynthia
www.2ndgradepad.blogspot.com/

1st Grade HipHip Hooray! said...

Love your ideas. I am now a follower. Hope you will hop by and follow me! Michele