Sunday, April 22, 2012

Word Work in My Classroom

As the year is beginning to wind down, I have been trying to be sure all of my students know the sight words we expect them to read and write by the end of the year. 

Each nine weeks, we have to do a test on the words they are supposed to spell by the end of the year. I took the results from the test as well as the information I had from conferencing with my students during reading workshop to develop word lists for each of my students. I typed up 5-10 words for my students to practice if they choose some of our word work centers. 

Here is the template I typed in:

PDF Version:


Sight Word Lists -  

PowerPoint Version:

Sight Word Lists -  

At our school, we introduce sight words each week. Sometimes we introduce one, sometimes two, it just depends on the words. I hang them from the colored lanterns over my tables like this:


Each Wednesday their morning work is to practice the word or the week on white boards and then try to create a sentence. This Wednesday, we created a sentence together for each word to add in one of our centers. I really like the idea of a cut-up sentence center. I tell my students that it helps them with 3 things: reading, putting things in order, and handwriting. That makes it a great choice!






Once they put them in order, they write them on my favorite handwriting paper. 







I purchased the paper at Mardel. It is pretty pricey, but I really like it, and so do they. I have some of it in dry erase pouches to make it last longer.
 
Of course, the students who take their time at this center and use their best handwriting may get a 4 cupcake stamp and get to be on the Sweet Work display!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Great ideas! I may have to try the cut up sentence center. =)
Bobbie


The Daily Cupcake…A Kindergarten Blog

Jen said...

I love this! I am always looking for ways to jazz up my sight word centers!
Jen

Jen's Kinder Kids

Jaycee Weaver and Lohren Nolan said...

I love cut up sentences! I use them all the time! I would love it if you would come follow my blog!

totallyterrificteachingtools.blogspot.com

Lohren Nolan

Kimberley said...

This is great. Thank you for the idea!


Kimberley
First in Maine

Tanya said...

Oh wow! I got a whole ream of this paper at a yard sale this summer for $3!!! My son (going into 1st grade) has been using it all summer to write his letters...maybe I should be putting it in plastic sleeves, too.