Thursday, September 13, 2012

QR Codes for Community-What I'm Doing Digitally

I hope everyone has had a great start to the year. This time is fun getting to know your new kids and beginning a fresh start, but can be pretty overwhelming as well.
 
As most of you know by now, I was very blessed to be picked as a new digital classroom teacher. I've now completed all of the training, and am enjoying using the iPads and MacBooks with my students.
 
I've had quite a few requests to share my experiences and tips that I find for using technology in the classroom, so I have decided that I will have a "What I'm Doing Digitally" post once a week to keep you updated. I will post my technology tips and ideas on Thursdays.

Here is an activity I created for the first day of school:

I wanted my students to start off the year will a great relationship with their buddies. (In Dual Language, the students do a lot of work with their bilingual buddies.) I came up with the idea of them creating a handshake to build their bond. In order to give them some ideas, they used the Scan app to scan these QR codes. My students absolutely LOVED doing this. Some of them still do their handshake with their buddy. :)

In the PDF file, the first sheet is what I printed on colored cardstock for my students. I found the videos on YouTube and then created a safe link for the QR code so they wouldn't see any of the advertisements. In case something happens in the future and they do not work, I provided the links on the following pages.

Enjoy!
 
 

Photobucket

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Love the idea of QR codes & have been wanting to make some for my 1st graders but haven't learned how to do it yet. I can't quite figure out how to print these from docstoc.
I will be excited to see what you add to your digital weekly blog. Thanks for sharing! Let me know how I can print these if you get a chance. Thanks again,
Jackie jackie@acsnet.com

inthatroomwithheidiharrell said...

This is such an amazing idea! I am stealing it for this year! I love it so much. I am not a dual language teacher - but I am working hand and hand with our bilingual teacher on project based learning, and this is the coolest idea for getting them to know each other! Thank you so much!
Heidi