Thursday, October 11, 2012

What I'm Doing Digitally- 10.11.12


I am so excited to share with you that I have finally gotten my class blog started!
 
I had posted about doing that this summer, and I ended up using Kidblog. It's a site that my district already approved, and they are supposed to be coming out with an app very soon.
 
Of course, I got tired of waiting so long for the app to come out... so I just created a QR code for my kids to go to instead so they could log in easily.
 
Today we did our first posts. I wanted them all to experience how to post, and so we just wrote about our favorite part of third grade.
 
Some kids went on and posted about inferring or summarizing a story they were reading, but most have yet to do that.
 
I don't even have buttons ready to share, but I am so excited (and they are so excited) about having people besides the class, me and parents to read what they have to say. I just had to share it with you before I had any pictures, buttons or anything! I'd love it if you could read a couple of posts and comment for for one or two of my students. My expectation is that they will post something at least once a week. I'll also be including class photos of some things we were working on, too.
 
My first group's blog is here.
 
My second group's blog is here.
 
Please let me know if your class has a blog I can comment on. I'd love to support them and maybe even share it with my kiddos, too.
 
Let me know if you check it out. I would really love for my kids to realize how global their learning can be!
 
... and please share if you have any ideas about what you would blog about with your kids. Right now, I'm kind of using it as our digital write about reading notebook.
Photobucket

8 comments:

Jill said...

I want sooo much for my class to blog! How often are you having them write? Do you have computers to use all the time or do you go to a lab?

Marvelous Multiagers!

Sara said...

This is so cool, Mrs. Patton! I absolutely love it and they are going to learn SO many new skills. How long was the process of getting the blogs set up for each of the different students? And is Kidblog free??

Sara
Miss V's Busy Bees

Mrs. Patton said...

Kidblog is free and is relatively easy to use. I had to take a little bit to get myself familiar with the site, but once I did it was pretty easy to set up.

I have my students use a QR code to access the blog on our iPads. I prefer that 100 times over going to the computer lab and asking them to type in the URL.

Kate said...

I absolutely love your students' blogs so far! It's my goal to start blogging with my second graders this year. Tell your students that they inspired me to get started! ;)

Kate
EduKate and Inspire

Miss Trayers said...

What a wonderful idea! I loved reading the kids' responses to each other! I would love to do something like that with my kiddos, but I think I'd have to translate-or maybe do it in the spring when their writing skills are better.
NotJustChild'sPlay

Alex Williams said...

You can also use this website to download free Halloween coloring pages, Pumpkin Coloring pages and coloring pages are great resource for kids to enhance their learning capabilities. My kids love to engage in coloring activities online.

KElizabeth said...

What a great way to integrate technology!!

mssalame said...

We are about to start blogging too, hopefully by next week! :) I will definitely visit your class blogs with my students and have them leave some comments. We visited some 7th grader blogs and they LOVED reading other kids' writing. They are really anxious to get started! Daniela shared this link with me on Twitter and I think it will be a good resource for planning blogging lessons as we grow with them:

http://blog4edu.pbworks.com/w/page/32887780/StudentBlogResources

Good luck!!