Monday, July 22, 2013

Back To School Frame DIY


Have you seen these frames floating around Pinterest?





I was inspired by these two frames to create my own for the 1st day of school.



This is from First Grade Schoolbox


I went to Hobby Lobby and bought an Open Frame (for 40% off with the coupon on their app!), the pre-painted glitter letters, the pre-painted wood cut outs, and an unfinished wooden star.




I used chalkboard paint to paint the star so I could change it out for the 100th or last day of school.

I chose a gator cut out because we will be the Gators at my new school.




These letters were awesome, and took me quite a while to decide on, but pre-painted glitter letters beat me painting them on my own!


And here is my sweet hubby who clearly loves me very much since he humored me and posed for me. Not sure he knows just how many people will see this photo, but I did mention it would be on my blog. :)







I can't wait to let my new students pose with this on the first day!

If you decide to make one, I do want to give you a few tips:

  1. Make sure the letters on the bottom don't stick out over the bottom. You will have to store it on one of the sides, so it's best if the cutouts and letters don't stick out on the bottom!
  2. Do multiple coats of chalkboard paint on the star. I did three.
  3. Use hot glue instead of wood glue. Wood glue took way to long to dry and make a big globby mess. It's possibly user error, but after using wood glue on the word "day," I gave up and plugged in my glue gun right away.
  4. To make a border on the star, I used a paint pen. My favorite ones are in the product links below. 


 
Have fun with this! If you choose to make one, let me know. I'd love to see it!
Photobucket
Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

Tania said...

Love the frame!...and your awesome model.
Tania
My Second Sense

Mrs. Thompson said...

I've had that first frame pinned on Pinterest for a long time... I think I might finally get around to doing it! Thanks for sharing your pictures. Great model! :)

Mrs. Thompson
Adventures in Teaching (A First Grade Blog)
My TpT Store

Rachel @ A Tall Drink of Water said...

So cute! And I love how easy that is...totally right up my ally!
A Tall Drink of Water

Belinda Kinney said...

I'm totally inspired! Thank you for the great tutorial!!

Belinda
I Love 2 Teach

Elizabeth Rossmiller said...

Your frame looks amazing! I am so inspired to make one of my own... if only summer was a month longer so I could complete all these awesome crafts!

Elizabeth

www.secondsatthebeach.blogspt.com

Nancy Wilson said...

So cute!!! I picked up a frame & made one a few weeks ago...I'd love for you to take a look at mine...
http://theapplebasketteacher.blogspot.com/2013/07/made-it-monday1st-day-of-school-frame.html

Thanks,
Nancy
www.theapplebasketteacher.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

This is super cute! Would you be able to tell me what size frame you used? I can't decide!

dkzody said...

Thank you for a great idea that can carry forward through the year and be used over and over.